Nursing science is a medical course that deals the study of clinical methods of improving life and administration of heath services to patients. This article contains information about nursing science in nigerian universities.
Nursing science is a five year undergraduate course in Nigerian universities. The awarded degree after completion of the undergraduate training in Nigerian universities is the Bachelor of Nursing Science (BScN, BNsc or BSNc). Students admitted through direct entry will spend 4 years starting from 200 level.
The nursing science curriculum in Nigerian universities cuts across lectures in faculty of science courses like physics, chemistry and biology for new students. From 200L, the are taught courses in basic medical science (anatomy, physiology and biochemistry) plus their own nursing science core courses. This continues till their final level.
After a successful completion of the undergraduate training in any accredited Nigerian university, the newly graduated nurses are inducted into the profession and are given license of practice as registered nurse. The BScN degree also provides the general nursing qualification and the midwifery program qualification.
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR NURSING SCIENCE (O’LEVEL)
What is required of you to be admitted to study nursing science in Nigerian universities.?
Aspirants must have five(5) credit passes in o’level result. The credit passes must be in the following subjects – Mathematics, English, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. This is the first criteria for being eligible to pick up a JAMB form to pursue nursing science.
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR NURSING SCIENCE (JAMB)
While registering JAMB, aspirants should make sure to select the correct subject combination for Nursing Science which are Use of English, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. Anything other than this will make applicants to be ineligible for admission consideration.
Students should endeavor to have to very high jamb score and as nursing science in Nigerian universities is very competitive and high demanding in terms of cutoff and the number of applicants.
After JAMB, the next step is writing the post utme for the school you are applying for. This is for schools that are still using post utme as their admission method. For schools without post utme, applicants will have to apply for screening, here students documents will be screened and admission will be based on their performance in JAMB and o’level. Information regarding the time of screening or post utme can be found in individual school websites offering the course.
UNIVERSITIES IN NIGERIA OFFERING NURSING SCIENCE
The following institutions in Nigeria are offering nursing science course.
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria (ABU)
- Bayero University Kano (BUK)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University (UNIZIK)
- Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ife
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- Usmanu Danfodiyyo University Sokoto (UDUSOK)
- University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- University of Abuja (UNIABUJA)
- University of Ibadan (UNIBADAN)
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- University of Uyo (UNIUYO)
- National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN)
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma (AAU)
- Abia State University, Uturu (ABSU)
- Benue State University, Markurdi (BSU)
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University (COOU) (fomerly Anambra State University)
- Delta State University (DELSU)
- Ebonyi State University (EBSU)
- Ekiti State University (EKSU)
- Enugu State University of Science & Technology (ESUT)
- Gombe State University (GSU), Tudun Wada, Gombe
- Imo State University (IMSU)
- Kogi State University (KSU)
- Kaduna State University (KASU)
- Lagos State University (LASU)
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso (LAUTECH)
- Ondo State University Of Medical Sciences Laje Road, Ondo, Ondo State
- Olabisi Onabanjo University (OOU), Ago-Iwoye, Ogun
- Osun State University (UNIOSUN)
- Lagos State University
- Delta State University Abraka
- Niger Delta University (NDU), Wilberforce Island, Bayelsa
- Afe Babalola University (ABUAD)
- Babcock University (BABCOCK)
- Covenant University
- Bingham University
- Bowen University
- Igbinedion University, Okada
- Gregory Umiversity, Uturu, Abia State
- Madonna University
- Lead City University (LCU)
- Achievers University, Owo, Ondo State.
Thanks for reading.